Farm to table summer harvest brunch
Rainbow chard & Red Amaranth Saute with a sweet and tart lemon, ginger, and turmeric vinaigrette.
If you’re anything like me, you crave both a delicious and colorful meal. This is just that! Both hardy in flavor, and so fun to look at with all these vibrant fresh farm goodies.
Recently a friend of mine brought me over some of her summer harvest goodies. Included in her bag of treats were rainbow chard, red amaranth, jalapenos, and sweet red peppers.
Never heard or Hopi Red Dye Amaranth?? Me either, it is close in flavor to spinach and grows much taller than I would have imagined. Take a look at this beautiful image of it from my friends farm HERE. It also has these lovely flowers, I would grow this just to put these colorful flowers on my counter!
Before you get started on sauteing your rainbow chard and amaranth, get your oven preheated to 400 degrees. I diced up some rainbow beets I had in my fridge and roasted them for about 15 minutes. I keep mine separated when roasting to preserve their color. Otherwise, they will all turn pink from the red beets.
The best time to saute your chard and amaranth is when you get your beets in the oven. I started by lightly sauteing my sweet red peppers in some olive oil, then plated those. Then I sauteed my greens in olive oil along with a dash of sea salt on low. As that was settling, I started my vinaigrette.
Ginger Turmeric Vinaigrette
Juice a whole lemon and remove any seeds. Add a 1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger and a 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated turmeric. Then add in 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar. Combine thoroughly. Sweeten to taste with honey. I would say I used about 1 tablespoon. This vinaigrette is amazing on so many hot and cold salads or saute’s.
Once your beets and sauteed greens are ready, layer them together next to your sweet red peppers and drizzle your vinaigrette over it. Top with a poached or fried egg, and if you have it on hand, sprinkle with some seasoned sunflower seeds for added texture. Voila! An easy and elegant brunch that will for sure impress your taste buds!
- Rainbow Chard
- Two Sweet Red Peppers
- Rainbow Beets
- One Lemon
- 1 inch Ginger root
- 1 inch Turmeric root
- Two Tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt -to taste
- Seasoned Sunflower seeds - optional
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Dice your rainbow beets and keep them separated from each other on a baking sheet. Season with Olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 15 minutes.
- Chop sweet red peppers, Swiss chard, and red amaranth into bite size pieces.
- Saute red peppers and greens on med heat with a few tablespoons of olive oil, season with salt to taste.
- Once your beets are roasted, layer peppers, greens, and beets on a plate.
- To make Vinaigrette:
- Juice one lemon and remove seeds.
- Add ¼ tsp of freshly grated ginger and ½ tsp freshly grated turmeric.
- Add 2 Tbsp of Apple cider vinegar
- Sweeten with honey to taste.